We’re looking for a team of dedicated, enthusiastic volunteers for this year’s Northern Design Festival. Design Event was established in 2005 to showcase good design and support designers across the North. We do this through a range of programmes including the Northern Design Festival, showcasing at the London Design Festival and our talks programme featuring leading designers.
2017 marks our 12th birthday and this year we are celebrating all things material with our theme: Material Matters. Over the last 12 years we have welcomed over 250,000 visitors to our festivals, worked with in excess of 1,400 designers, delivered a multitude of talks and workshops, and held over 120 exhibitions and events.
We will once again be showcasing work from leading designers in the stunning Assembly House, a Grade II* listed building in the heart of Newcastle’s city centre.
The Festival will take place 3rd-8th November 2017 where we expect to welcome around 3,000 visitors.
The Northern Design Festival regularly recruits a brilliant team of volunteers who are invaluable to the smooth running of the Festival and enhancing the visitor experience.
For the 2017 Festival we are looking for dedicated and enthusiastic volunteers to help out with a range of tasks. As a Festival steward you will act as an ambassador and information point for our visitors, so we do ask that you take the position seriously and commit to any shifts you may be allocated.
This is a great opportunity to learn more about the exhibitions, what’s involved in organising events and to develop your communication skills and future prospects within the world of design.
What’s in it for you?
- You will receive training in preparation and on the job, which will help you in delivering an amazing experience for Festival-goers
- The role will enhance your CV – you will gain valuable experience of working on events and exhibitions and may have the opportunity of a professional reference
- The chance to meet exhibitors and designers, in previous years volunteers have secured placements through their time spent at the festival.
- The role will be best tailored to your interests and previous experience
- You will gain insight into the work of some of the region’s leading designers
- You’ll get a sneak preview of our stunning Festival venue
- You’ll work in a dynamic team of like-minded people and develop new friends and contacts
What we’re looking for
We are looking for enthusiastic team players with an interest in the Festival.
Key tasks include:
- Welcoming visitors to exhibitions and events
- Helping out with construction, install and take down of exhibitions
- Supporting the Festival team at openings, previews and special events
- Helping in the pop up shop
“I volunteered at last year’s Northern Design Festival. I was involved in the whole process – setting up before, helping out during and after assisting with the de-install. This gave me invaluable insight into what goes into creating exhibitions and events. In addition I met other creatives; students and people already working in industry, some of whom even went on to help with my final major project! It was all in all a highly beneficial and enjoyable experience, great for making contacts and enhancing your C.V. – Anna Ishimoto, 2016 volunteer.
“I got involved with Design Event just after I graduated in 2008. I was looking to gain work experience in a creative environment. As I studied design at university this was a perfect opportunity right in the heart of Newcastle.I joined the team as a volunteer and help to invigilate various exhibitions across the Festival. It was a fantastic opportunity to work in a different environment with new people and it was brilliant engaging with the general public. The event gave me responsibility and built my confidence in approaching people and talking about their opinions and my own. It also showed me that I could be creative in a different way.” Previous Festival volunteer
How to apply
Please complete this online application as soon as possible, and no later than 6th October 2017. Also please note last year we experienced difficulties with emails so please add email@example.com to your email contacts to ensure you receive any emails. If you have any questions please email Zoe at firstname.lastname@example.org.