We’re looking for a team of dedicated, enthusiastic volunteers for this year’s Northern Design Festival. Design Event was established in 2005 to showcase good design and support designers across the North. We do this through a range of programmes including the Northern Design Festival, showcasing at the London Design Festival and our talks programme featuring leading designers.
The Northern Design Festival is a showcase of the best in contemporary design by leading northern, national and international designers across graphics, furniture, fashion, illustration, architecture, ceramics, textiles and lighting. Ranging from Turner Prize winners to some of the UK’s hottest emerging makers, this year’s Festival has eight exhibitions featuring work by more than 65 designers and architects, plus a programme of special events, tours and talks from some of the world’s leading creatives. The 2016 Northern Design Festival opens on 7 October with the inaugural Design NOW symposium with a stellar line-up of speakers.
The Northern Design Festival recruits a brilliant team of volunteers annually who are invaluable to the smooth running of the Festival and enhancing the overall visitor experience.
For this year’s Festival we are looking for dedicated, enthusiastic volunteers to help out with a range of tasks. As a Festival steward you will act as an ambassador and information point for our visitors, enhancing their overall experience whilst improving your own knowledge of design.
This is a great opportunity to learn more about the exhibitions, what’s involved in organising events and to develop your communication skills. Northern Design Festival is ultimately a fantastic opportunity to meet new people, learn more about leading designers and what sparks their imagination. Furthermore, all exhibitions are housed in historic hidden gem locations in and around the city that are otherwise rarely open to the general public!
What’s in it for you?
- You will receive training in preparation and on the job, which will help you in delivering an amazing experience for Festival-goers
- The role will enhance your CV – you will gain valuable experience of working on events and exhibitions and may have the opportunity of a professional reference
- The role will be best tailored to your interests and previous experience
- You will gain insight into the work of some of the UK’s best designers
- You’ll get a sneak preview of our stunning Festival venues
- You’ll work in a dynamic team of like-minded people and develop new friends and contacts
What we’re looking for
We are looking for enthusiastic team players with an interest in the Festival.
Key tasks include:
• Welcoming visitors to exhibitions and events
• Helping out with construction, install and take down of exhibitions
• Supporting the Festival team at openings, previews and special events
• Helping in the pop up shop
“I got involved with Design Event just after I graduated in 2008. I was looking to gain work experience in a creative environment. As I studied design at university this was a perfect opportunity right in the heart of Newcastle.
I joined the team as a volunteer and help to invigilate various exhibitions across the Festival. It was a fantastic opportunity to work in a different environment with new people and it was brilliant engaging with the general public. The event gave me responsibility and built my confidence in approaching people and talking about their opinions and my own. It also showed me that I could be creative in a different way.” Previous Festival volunteer
How to apply
Please complete the following survey: click here
Please complete this online application as soon as possible, and no later than 21st September 2016. If you have any questions please email Zoe @ email@example.com.