Our director Karen Nairstone was honoured to be part of the judging panel for this year’s RIBA North East Awards. 11 stunning projects made the shortlist stretching from Hexham down to Middlesbrough. Having shortlisted from 23 entries, over the coming weeks the RIBA judging panel will be visiting a range of high quality buildings right across the North East; from the first phase of the redevelopment of the Commissioner’s Quay site Blyth Workspace to the new Ashington Community & Leisure Centre which forms the centre piece of Ashington town centre’s strategic regeneration.
The shortlist as seen above :
1. Acomb High house – Mosedale Gillatt Architects
2. Ashington Community and Leisure Centre – Ryder Architecture, image Kristen McCluskie
3. Blyth Workspace – xsite architecture LLP, image Jill Tate
4. Boho 5 – xsite architecture LLP, image Jill Tate
5. Crook Hall Visitor Centre – Elliott Architects, image Steve Mayes
6. Durham Community Fire Station – Napper Architects Ltd, image Alan Rees
7. Edge Hill – Sutherland Hussey Harris
8. Felton Park Glasshouse and Potting Shed – Spence and Dower LLP
9. Gibside Carriage House Café – Elliott Architects
10. Hebburn Central – FaulknerBrowns Architects, image Hufton Crow
11. The Paise – Newton Architects
As well as the prestigious Building of the Year Award, the shortlist will also produce a Small Project of the Year Award for those projects costing less than £500,000. North East based practices, Mosedale Gillatt Architects, Spence and Dower, and Elliott Architects are vying for this prize. With entries ranging from Felton Park Glasshouse a rare 1830 building and contemporary Potting Shed (both Listed Grade II*) to Acomb High House in Northumberland, a Grade II listed building which also sits within the local Conservation Area.
Alongside these practices is Edinburgh based practice Sutherland Hussey Harris with their scheme Edge Hill, a private family home set in a deep linear plot at the periphery of the Darras Hall Estate in Ponteland.
The RIBA North East award winners will be announced on Friday 22 April 2016. Design Event wish all the shortlisted practices the best of luck!