We are pleased to announce the open call for submissions of work to be included in the 2015 Design Event MART. Design Event invites submissions of innovative and high quality design-led work from furniture, surface, textile, lighting, illustration, product, jewelry and fashion accessory designers and makers based in the North East, North West and Yorkshire & Humber.
About Design Event
Design Event is a not-for-profit design-led organisation existing to support and promote design in the North of England. Each year, Design Event run a programme of activity that promotes and showcases design and supports designers. In February 2015 Design Event were awarded the Homes and Gardens design award for best backer of british design.
About Design Event MART
Design Event MART is a curated selling exhibition showcasing the best in contemporary design from the North of England. 2015 Marks Design Event’s tenth birthday and we will be celebrating in style by holding this year’s Design Event MART in a beautiful grade II* listed building in Newcastle’s city centre. In 2013 Design Event MART was held at Globe Gallery, Newcastle upon Tyne, and attracted 1,500 visitors. Exhibiting designers achieved on-site and post-event sales exceeding £40,000. The event has received extensive press coverage in both regional and national publications including features in Design Week, Living ETC and The Independent. Four exhibitors were presented with awards nominated by; Confessions of a Design Geek, Formica and British by Design.
About Design Event MART 2015
Design Event MART 2015 will take place from 21-25 October 2015 with an opening event and awards ceremony on 20 October. We will also host an architects’ breakfast in partnership with the RIBA on 22 October. The exhibition will showcase the work of 15-25 designers from the North of England working in a range of design disciplines, in a stunning grade II* listed venue in Newcastle’s city centre, not usually open to the public.
Works to be exhibited will be selected by our panel of industry experts. Our panel for 2015 includes :
Sara Ley – Head of retail, Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art
Carmel Allen – Creative director, Heals
Rickard Whittingham – Programme leader 3 dimensional design, designers in residence, Northumbria University
Karen Nairstone – Director, Design Event
Where you come in!
We are now seeking applications from designers interested in exhibiting at Design Event MART 2015. Design Event MART is open to designers living and working across the North of England (North East, North West and Yorkshire & Humber). Designers producing innovative new work from all design disciplines including; furniture, surface, textile, lighting, illustration, product, jewellery, fashion accessory and print-based design will be considered
In order to ensure the exhibition is diverse, engaging and provides maximum opportunity to the designers involved, we are looking for innovative work at various stages of production including; new prototypes, one-off pieces and commissions and batch produced items. We will accept applications from designers living and working in the North of England; North East, North West and Yorkshire & Humber. Submissions of products that are the result of a collaboration between 2 or more designers are welcome
– can relate to any design discipline, and use any materials and tools for manufacture provided that products have a high quality finish
– should not have been widely exhibited in the North of England or as part of previous Design Event MARTs
– should ideally have selling potential either as a ‘carry out’ item or be available to order. However, a small number of innovative prototypes may be included
– must represent the designer’s original ideas and be non-derivative
Submission and Selection
Applications must be submitted by 12 April 2015
Selected designers will be informed by 30 April 2015
Selected designers must submit a high quality image of their product by 1 June 2015
Terms and Conditions
- Design Event will cover the costs of the exhibition including exhibition build, graphics, promotion, staffing of the event
- Design Event will undertake a national and regional PR campaign
- Design Event will design, curate and install the exhibition
- Exhibiting designers will be able to show up to 5 products (selected by Design Event) and will have their products available for sale in a pop-up shop within the exhibition
- All products exhibited and available for sale will be selected and displayed by Design Event
- Applications must be submitted with the £15 Application fee which goes towards costs of administration and selection process.
- Exhibiting designers will be required to pay an exhibitor fee of £155 including VAT. Full payment or a 50% instalment of the fee must be paid within 6 weeks of receiving an offer to exhibit
- Exhibiting designers will retain100% of sales of exhibition pieces made as part of the exhibition Additional pieces may be selected for the pop up shop and Design Event will take 40% commission on these additional selected pieces.
- Exhibiting designers will be responsible for bringing their products to the exhibition venue and removing them at the close of the exhibition at dates and times agreed with Design Event
- Exhibiting designers will be responsible for providing images of their work and information on themselves and their practice for marketing and interpretation purposes. This information is to be provided in a timely manner and in the specified format
- If possible, exhibitors will be present for the duration of the exhibition
Selected designers will receive:
· a dedicated exhibition space from 21-25 October with an opening event on 20 October
· The opportunity to present their work to architects at the RIBA partnered Architects’ breakfast
· inclusion in Design Event national and regional press campaign
· coverage through Design Event e-bulletins and social media activity
· consideration for Design Event Awards 2015
· 100% of sales of exhibition works made at the exhibition
· 60% of sales of additional shop pieces
· exposure to regional commissioners, specifiers, retailers and buyers
· inclusion in web directory on Design Event website for 1 year
To apply for Design Event MART 2015, please produce a powerpoint presentation to the specifications below and send to Karen Nairstone at firstname.lastname@example.org by 12 April 2015.
The application fee is £15 and is non refundable. The fee will go towards the costs of processing applications and the selection process. Please make payment via paypal to email@example.com. Applications will not be processed without this fee.
Things to Consider
This application asks you to submit images of your product (s). If you are selected to exhibit at Design Event MART, we will request that you supply high quality photographs of your product or a high quality prototype version by 1 June 2015. Submitting images when requested will maximise national promotional opportunities for your work
Design Event may contact you for further information to support your application in advance of the deadline for confirming the outcome of your application. A prompt and full response to these requests will strengthen your application
Slide 1: Personal details
Include: your name, the name of your company (if applicable), telephone number, email address, website, postal address, postcode
Slide 2: About you
Please tell us a little about yourself as a practitioner. Include information such as your training (if applicable), the materials/tools/techniques you work with, your previous projects and your particular interests/sources of inspiration
Slide 3-6: About your product
Please tell us about the product(s)/prototype(s) installation you propose to show at Design Event MART. Include:
– Product name/ title
– Product type
– Materials used
– Making/manufacturing technique or process used
– Concept/ intended use
– Production stage (is the product at prototype stage/or complete?)
– Any environmental/sustainability issues that your product addresses, either through manufacture or intended use
– Expected retail selling price
– How many units will be available for sale at Design Event MART 2015
– Any further information you feel is relevant
Please write about each element as fully as possible
You may submit up to 6 products/ranges for consideration, provided they meet the criteria described above
If you are submitting more than one product/range for consideration, please provide a separate block of information about each
Slide 7: Other exhibition experience/press
Please list :
any exhibitions your work has been featured in in the last 24 months.
any press coverage that your work has received in the last 24 months
any exhibitions that your work is due to feature in before October 2015
Slide 8-13: Images
Please supply a maximum of 6 different images of your product(s). If your products are still in development, good quality sketches or CAD images are acceptable.
Please only supply images to which you hold the copyright or rights for reproduction and ensure details of the photographer are clearly stated, if necessary.
Please note: Design Event will assume any photography supplied to us will have your copyright permission to use for press/reproduction purposes. If your work is selected, product images supplied may also be used on Design Event website or other promotional material. The exhibitor is responsible for any copyright issues which may arise from publication.
Additonal retail items
If you have additional works you would like considered for our pop up shop please include a line sheet or catalogue with your submission.
Thank you for completing your presentation. Please send it Karen Nairstone at firstname.lastname@example.org by 12 April 2015 along with your application fee via paypal to email@example.com
If you have any queries about the application process, please contact Karen at the email address above, or on 0191 276 2227