Design Source is a curated exhibition of the best design-led furniture, surface, textile, lighting, illustration, ceramics, product, jewellery, fashion accessory and print-based design from across the North of England. The Exhibition is part of the Northern Design Festival in Newcastle upon Tyne.
The Northern Design Festival champions good design across disciplines including architecture, graphics, surface, product design and fashion; engaging industry, makers, individuals, students and young people in a range of events from exhibitions and installations to talks, tours and our Design NOW symposium.
We are pleased to announce the open call for submissions of work to be included in the exhibition. Design Event invites submissions of innovative and high quality design-led work from furniture, surface, textile, lighting, illustration, product, jewellery and fashion accessory designers and makers based in the North East, North West and Yorkshire & Humber.
Design Source takes over from the Design Event MART as the curated selling exhibition showcasing the best in contemporary design from the North of England. It forms the cornerstone of the Northern Design Festival, which over the last 10 years has attracted over 250,000 visitors.
This year’s exhibition takes place in the stunning grade II* listed Assembly House in Newcastle’s city centre. In 2016 exhibiting designers had sales of over £30,000 and a number of commissioned projects with Architects and specifiers alongside private commissions. The event has received extensive coverage in regional and national press including Design Week, Cool Hunting, Homes and Gardens, Living Etc, On Office, Telegraph, Sunday Times, Financial Times, and Guardian.
Selected designers will receive:
- a dedicated exhibition space from 3-8 November with a VIP opening event on 2 November
- The opportunity to present their work to architects at the Architects’ breakfast
- The opportunity to meet commissioners and potential buyers
- inclusion in Design Event extensive national and regional press campaign
- coverage through Design Event e-bulletins and social media activity
- consideration for Design Event Awards 2017
- 100% of sales of exhibition works made at the exhibition
- 60% of sales of additional shop pieces
- exposure to regional commissioners, specifiers, retailers and buyers
- inclusion in web directory on Design Event website for 1 year
– can relate to any design discipline, provided that products are design-led and have a high quality finish
– should not have been widely exhibited in the North of England or as part of previous Northern Design Festival
–must represent the designer’s original ideas and be non-derivative
Submission and Selection
Applications must be submitted by 15 May 2017
Selected designers will be informed by 10 June 2017
Selected designers must submit a high quality image of their product by 1 July 2017
How to Apply
To apply for Design Source, please produce a powerpoint presentation to the specifications below and send to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 May 2017
Slide 1: Personal details
Include: your name, company, telephone number, email address, website, postal address, and postcode
Slides 2-3: About you
Please tell us a little about yourself and your practice. Include information such as the materials/tools/techniques you work with, your previous projects and your particular interests/sources of inspiration
Slide 4: About your product
Please tell us about the product(s)/prototype(s) installation you propose to show. Include:
Product name / Product type / Materials used
Making/manufacturing technique or process
Concept/ intended use
Production stage (prototype / complete?)
Any environmental/sustainability issues that your product addresses
Expected retail selling price
Any supporting process information that could be presented alongside the finished work – prototypes, material samples, sketches, models
Any further information you feel is relevant
You may submit up to 6 products/ranges for consideration, provided they meet the criteria described above. If you are submitting more than one product/range for consideration, please provide a separate block of information about each
Slide 5: Other exhibition experience/press. Please list :
any exhibitions your work has been featured in over the last 24 months.
any press coverage that your work has received in the last 24 months
any exhibitions that your work is due to feature in before November 2017
Slide 6-11: Images
Please supply a maximum of 6 different images of your product(s). If your products are still in development, good quality sketches or CAD images are acceptable.
Please only supply images to which you hold the copyright or rights for reproduction and ensure details of the photographer are clearly stated, if necessary.
Please note: Design Event will assume any photography supplied to us will have your copyright permission to use for press/reproduction purposes. If your work is selected, product images supplied may also be used on Design Event website or other promotional material.
The exhibitor is responsible for any copyright issues which may arise from publication.
Terms and conditions
- Design Event will cover the costs of the exhibition including exhibition build, graphics, promotion, staffing.
- Design Event will undertake a national and regional PR campaign
- Design Event will design, curate and install the exhibition
- Designers will be able to show up to 7 products (selected by Design Event) and have selected products available for sale in a pop-up shop alongside
- All products exhibited and available for sale will be selected and displayed by Design Event
- Exhibiting designers will be required to pay an exhibitor fee of £175. Full payment or a 50% instalment of the fee must be paid within 6 weeks of receiving an offer to exhibit.
- We have a small number of bursaries for designers in their first 3 years of practice at £100 each.
- Exhibiting designers will retain 100% of sales of exhibition pieces made as part of the exhibition. Additional pieces may be selected for the pop up shop and Design Event will take 40% commission on these additional selected pieces.
- Exhibiting designers will be responsible for bringing their products to the exhibition venue and removing them at the close of the exhibition at dates and times agreed with Design Event
- Exhibiting designers will be responsible for providing images of their work and information on themselves and their practice for marketing and interpretation purposes. This information is to be provided in a timely manner and in the specified format
- If possible exhibitors will be present for the duration of the exhibition.